Priory v Alconbury - Football

 On the 8th February 2019, Priory played Alconbury. In the first half Alconbury scored five goals which made the score 5-0. Fortunately, Chloe scored one to make the score 5-1 at half time. In the second half, Alconbury started well and scored another five goals. After a lovely bit of play and passing from Priory, Marie managed to scored a second for Priory. Unfortunately, this meant that Priory lost 10-2, however, the girls represented the school and the team fantastically. They made sure they never gave up and kept smiling to the end. 

A massive thank you to Miss Pannell and the bus driver for arranging the match and providing the opportunity.

Priory do well at Year 5/6 tournament

8th November 2018

On Thursday 8th November the Year 5/6 team were off to Westifeld School in St Ives.

In the first game Priory played against the home team. It was evenly matched throughout, Harry put Priory ahead to make the game 1-0. The match was evenly balanced with Westfield managing to break away and score to equalise. The game ended 1-1.

The next game was against Hemingford. The first half was dominated by Hemingford with them making their superiority count to score and go 1-0 up. Hemingford went to score two more goals late in the game when Priory were pushing on to try and equalise. The final score was 3-0 despite the great efforts of the team.

After that we played Bury. In the first half Reece made a run down the field and then passed it to Daniel, he took the shot with Robert making sure of the goal Priory were 1-0 up. In the second half Alfie scored a poachers goal notching his first for Priory from a short distance. The final whistle blew and the score had stayed at 2-0.

Finally, we were up against Holywell. It was a good even game until Jay rounded off a brilliant team goal after an assist from Alfie. This made it 1-0, thanks to some heroic goalkeeping from Arthur the score stayed that way with Priory running out eventual winners at 1-0.

Priory through to next round of cup after good first round win

7th November 2018

On Wednesday 7th November, Priory hosted Thorndown Primary School. After the success of the tournament last week, Priory were raring to go and prove themselves against different opposition on a bigger pitch.

The rain held off this time with the match being well attended by Thorndown and Priory supporters.

Priory started the game strongly and quickly got a 1-0 lead thanks to a great goal by Jake. Soon after Luca scored a fantastic goal to put Priory 2-0 up. Then Thorndown shot from long range and hit the cross bar. At the other end Ryan passed to Luca who scored another goal to make it 3-0. Quickly after Jake scored to make it 4-0 to Priory with two minutes of the half left.

On the stroke of half time Thorndown scored to make it 4-1. The second half was uneventful except for a brief moment of excitement when Cameron opened his goal account for the season to make it 5-1. The final whistle blew with the score at 5-1 meaning Priory are through to the next round where we will face Buckden.

Priory through to Final after unbeaten tournament!

1st November 2018


On Thursday 1st November Priory visited Crosshall for a Year 6 football tournament. The team were excited to represent the school for the first time this year. The sky was drizzly and miserable but the team were ready to do their best.

The first match was against Crosshall, the team started well and quickly went 1-0 up, this was followed by another to go into half time at 2-0. With a further two goals in the second half, Priory ended up 4-0 winners.

The second match against Wheatfields started much the same, with the team carrying on their good form from the first match. This time Priory managed to go 3-0 up in the first half. Wheatfields started the second half stronger and it was a much tighter match. After a few close calls, we managed to score a fourth and the final whistle went at 4-0.

The third match was pencilled in as being against Warboys. Other results had gone Priory’s way which meant the team were already through to the final so they were in high spirits. Being confirmed as the tournament leaders meant that the team were starting full of confidence, this translated onto the pitch and very quickly the score was 3-0. Again, the other team played better as the game went on and restricted Priory to one more goal. This meant another 4-0 victory.

Priory victorious!

Priory defeat Thorndown in final!

Match Report: Spring A Team Tournament Final         Wednesday 9th May 2018


Priory have won the Spring A Team tournament for the second time in three years after defeating Thorndown 5-4 on penalties after a nerve-wracking draw in what was a tight game between the winners of their respective groups.

Thorndown were undoubtedly the better side in the first half with Priory playing well below their best. The first ten minutes were fairly even with neither side creating any real chances to speak of however Thorndown began to string some passes together and cause the Priory defence trouble towards the end of the first period. With only minutes remaining until the half time whistle, the Priory captain, JJ, mistimed the flight of the ball which enabled the Thorndown striker to run through on goal before confidently striking the ball past Matthew in the Priory goal.

Priory were not disheartened by this and they came out for the second half with renewed vigour and determination to get themselves back into the match. After a poor showing in the first half, Priory were clearly the better team in the second, creating lots of chances but still unable to break through the stubborn Thorndown defence. With only a few minutes of the game remaining, Priory were awarded a free kick from just beyond the half way line – Ryan stepped up and looped the ball into the top corner – a great goal to level the match. Both sides played timidly in the dying moments of the game as neither of them wanted to take any risks meaning that the game would be decided by a penalty shoot-out.

After Alfie and Luca slotted home their penalties to make it 2-2 in the shoot-out, Matthew then saved Thorndown’s third effort to give Priory the advantage. JJ and Josh the opposition converted the rest of their penalties meaning that Matthew, the goalkeeper, had the chance to step up and win the cup for Priory, which he duly did to spark great celebrations amongst the Priory team.

The team played fantastically and showed great sportsmanship both during the game and in victory and should be very proud of their achievements.

Priory: Alfie, Leo, JJ, Kai, Thomas, Toby, Matthew, Ryan, Jake, Luca, Josh

Scorers: Ryan.

Attendance: 30 (estimated).


Priory progress to next round!

Priory in big victory against Winhills!

Match Report: Dickenson Cup First Round      Wednesday 21st March 2018


Priory were convincing in their 7-0 Walters cup first round victory against Winhills on Wednesday afternoon. The home side were in control throughout the match and were not flattered by the heavy scoreline.

Despite heavy pressure, it took Priory ten minutes to find a breakthrough and it was a jinking run from the captain, Ryan, who dribbled through the Winhills defence and weighted a ball to the back post where Oli was waiting for a tap in on his first appearance for the school. The second goal was quick to follow and was almost a carbon copy of the first, again with Ryan hanging the ball up and this time it was Luca who profited with a simple tap in.

After half time Priory came out much in the same vein as they had played the first half. Again more, good dribbling from Ryan led to a scramble in the box and the ball fell to Ollie who was able to stab the ball in past the Winhills goalkeeper to make it 3-0.

The best goal of the game was soon to follow. This time good play from Cameron down the right hand side saw him play a lovely through ball to Jake who was able to draw the onrushing keeper before calmly slotting the ball into the roof of the net.

It was soon 5-0 with some intricate passing in the box seeing the ball fall to Loui who was able to dribble past the defender before hitting a powerful shot into the bottom corner. The goals continued to come on a regular basis with more pinball in the box leading to Alfie having the opportunity to slot the ball into the open net which he duly obliged to do.

Priory put the cherry on top with a 7th goal. It was excellent work by Oli down the left side who got to the byline before selflessly pulling the ball back for Alfie to tap in his second of the game.

The score would have been heavier had it not been for some fantastic saves by the Winhills goalkeeper to deny Priory on several occasions.

It was a solid performance to begin the cup run for Priory and they look forward to seeing who their next opponents will be.

Priory: Matthew, Loui, Harry, Alfie, Ryan, Jake, Oli, Ollie, Cameron, Luca.

Scorers: Oli, Luca, Ollie, Jake, Loui, Alfie (2).

Attendance: 30 (estimated). 

Middlefield pay the penalty!

Priory into second round after shootout victory!

Match Report: Girls Cup First Round   Tuesday 27th March 2018


Priory secured their first ever Girls Cup win with a penalty shootout victory over Middlefield after a 1-1 draw in normal time.

The wet conditions made for an interesting game with both teams finding it difficult to break the other down throughout the match. Middlefield had the better of the early play creating a couple of early chances however their efforts were thwarted by eventual player of the match, Esme, in the Priory goal. Both defences remained on top throughout the first ten minutes but it was Middlefield who got the breakthrough midway through the first half, with good play from the striker missing out the Priory defence and finding the striker in plenty of space to fire the ball past Esme.

Priory reacted well to going behind, beginning to apply their own pressure and creating some half chances which were easily dealt with by the Middlefield goalkeeper and the score remained 1-0 going into the half time break.

Middlefield started the second half the better of the two teams and looked favourites to be the next team on the scoresheet had they not been prevented by some stern defending from Bobbie and Seren alongside brave goalkeeping from Esme to keep the difference to just 1.

With only 5 minutes left in the game Priory got a breakaway on the left hand side with Grace looking to take on the solid defence before threading a brilliant ball through to Chloe who confidently took the pass in her stride before firing past the goalkeeper to equalise for the home side.

The final 5 minutes were quiet with both sides cautious of conceding what would inevitably be a winner and with the game ending at 1-1, the game went to penalties.

As expected, the penalty shootout was a nervy affair but an early miss from Middlefield and fantastic save from Esme coupled with confident finishes from Chloe and Grace meant that Priory had a 2-1 lead going into the final two kick takers. Amazingly, Esme pulled off a fantastic save from the spot kick to seal a 2-1 win in the shootout and Priory’s place in the second round for the first ever time!

Priory: Esme, Bobbie, Skye, Akvile, Grace, Chloe, Amelia, Seren, Kalis, Sophia.

Scorers: Chloe.

Attendance: 30 (estimated).

Priory into round two!

Priory in convincing win against Hemingford!

Match Report: Dickenson Cup First Round      Friday 16th March 2018

Priory put in a super performance to see off the challenge of Hemingford Grey in the first round of this year’s Dickenson Cup. Priory started the game with great intent, creating several chances in the opening stages of the game. This resulted in Kai opening the scoring after a great run down the right hand side from Jake.

This was soon followed by Priory’s second goal. Again more good work from Jake down the right led to a goal mouth scramble in the box which ended in Luca stabbing the ball home to give Priory a 2-0 lead inside 4 minutes.

Priory added to their lead just moments later. Again more, good intricate passing from the midfield led to the ball falling to Kai on the half volley. He convincingly slammed to ball into the back of the net from the edge of the area to double his tally for the afternoon.

After the early pace-setting from the home side the game evened out and mid-way through the second half Hemingford found their way back into the game. A corner was whipped in from the right and in Leo’s attempt to clear the ball he succeeded only in heading the ball past Matthew to give Hemingford hope.

These hopes were dashed again just moments later as Luca added his second and Priory’s fourth to make the score 4-1. As Priory looked to push forward again, they left far too much space in the back line and Hemingford were again able to find the net making the score 4-2 after only 12 minutes.

A fifth goal was added before half time as Josh cleverly weaved his way through the defence and slotted neatly past the goalkeeper to give Priory a 3 goal advantage going into half time.

Priory continued their excellent play in the second half. Luca struck on to complete his hat-trick and Josh stole in at the far post to claim a tap in to make it 7-2 to Priory.

The home side continued to apply pressure throughout the second half, coming close to adding to their tally on several occasions with Ryan smashing the crossbar and the Hemingford goalkeeper making a string of good saves.

With time running out Jake was able to get his name on the scoresheet with Priory’s eighth goal of the day, sealing a convincing 8-2 victory and putting Priory’s name in the hat for the second round.

The team performed very well on the afternoon with lots of fantastic passing on show, something that will hold the team in good stead as they seek cup glory once again.

Priory: Alfie, Leo, Charlie, JJ, Kai, Thomas, Toby, Matthew, Ryan, Jake, Luca, Josh

Scorers: Josh (2), Luca (3), Kai (2), Jake.

Attendance: 30 (estimated).

Priory runners up!

Priory B narrowly miss out on final!

Match Report: Spring B team tournament         Thursday 15th March 2018

Priory B team produced several super performances on a wet and windy Thursday afternoon as they finished 2nd in their group.

With only three teams in attendance it was agreed that each team would play each other three times in a round robin format. In their first game against eventual winners Godmanchester, Priory managed a creditable 0-0 with draw with neither side creating many chances. This was followed by a hard-fought 1-0 win against Winhills with Ollie scoring the winning goal late on in the game.

Unfortunately the second Godmanchester fixture ended in a 2-0 defeat with both goals coming late on, including a penalty after Rowan brought down the opposition striker after being left one on one. This was followed by another narrow defeat against Winhills, 1-0 the score this time.

Priory found themselves 2-0 down again in their fifth match, with Godmanchester scoring 2 early goals however, with the fear of losing three games in a row looming large, they clawed their way back into the game with Cameron pouncing on a loose ball inside the box to make it 2-1. Then, with only minutes remaining Jerry fired in a shot from a corner which was well save the goalkeeper only to fall into the path on Carter who was able to stab the ball home and give Priory a deserved equaliser.

The final match against Winhills was similar to the first against Godmanchester in that both sides struggled to break each other down with the game eventually finishing as a 0-0 draw and sealing Priory’s 2nd place finish.

Priory: Rowan, Loui, Matheo, James, Carter, Cameron, Ollie, Reece, Grace, Jerry, Robert, Harry.

Scorers: Ollie, Cameron, Cater.

Attendance: 30 (estimated).

Priory progress to final!

Priory finish top!

Match Report: Spring A team tournament         Thursday 9th March 2018

Priory battled through a tough and closely fought group to qualify for the final of the Spring A team tournament on a cold afternoon at Crosshall Primary School.

The first game was a re-match against Stukeley Meadows who knocked Priory out of the Autumn tournament. Priory were slow to get going and found themselves 1-0 down shortly after half time with the Priory defence watching on as the Stukeley player found himself in acres of space from a corner to give them the lead. Priory reacted well to this setback and began to play some good football. However, they left it to late and fell to a 1-0 defeat.

Priory responded well to the negative result in the first game with a solid and patient performance against Huntingdon. Priory were the better side throughout the game but struggled to find a breakthrough. With only minutes left a loose ball found Ryan in the box who guided his half volley expertly into the corner to give Priory their first victory of the afternoon.

The hosts, Crosshall, were the opponents for the third game. As always this was a tight affair with very few chances created for either side. Priory arguably had the better of the play but neither side created a chance of any note and the 0-0 result was a fair reflection of the game.

Priory headed into their final game against Brampton knowing that they needed a win and for other results to go their way in order for them to progress to the final. It was easily Priory’s best performance of the afternoon, with fantastic passing and movement on display, giving the Brampton defence a real headache. The deadlock was broken midway through the first half. Josh fed the ball into Ryan who laid on a perfect pass for Jake to run on to and provide a composed finish past the in-form Brampton goalkeeper.

The final game of the tournament was a nervous watch as Priory needed Huntingdon to win or draw against Stukeley Meadows in order for them to go through. Agonisingly, Huntingdon fell behind during the second half and Priory felt as though their chance had gone. With minutes left Huntingdon grabbed an equaliser on the break which meant that Priory would finish top of the group and qualify for the final much to the delight of the players and the watching parents.

The team eagerly await to find out who their opponents will be.

Priory: Alfie, Leo, Charlie, JJ, Kai, Thomas, Toby, Matthew, Ryan, Jake, Luca, Josh

Scorers: Jake, Ryan.

Attendance: 30 (estimated). 

Goals the difference at Priory finish second!

B team miss out on final by one goal!

Match Report: Autumn B team tournament       Thursday 9th November 2017


Priory travelled to Crosshall knowing that they would have to get past the home side as well as Middlefield and Winhills if they were going to progress to the Autumn B team finals.

They began the tournament against Middlefield and began positively from the off with Rowan giving Priory the lead after a mazy dribble where he ran through the heart of the Middlefield defence before slotting the ball calmly through the legs of the onrushing goalkeeper.

Priory added to their lead shortly after half time when Ollie pounced on a loose ball inside the penalty area. This was shortly followed by a confident finish from Nathan into the corner meaning Priory started the tournament with a confidence-boosting 3-0 victory.

Second for Priory was a game against Crosshall. Priory started the better of the two sides with Rowan forcing the goalkeeper into a good save with a shot from outside the penalty area. Crosshall then began to respond to their own slow start by piling on the pressure towards the end of the first half, however Priory’s defence remained solid until a miscommunication defence gifted Crosshall a lead. As the game began to close out, Priory applied more pressure as they went in search of an equaliser. Unfortunately this left more space at the back and Crosshall took advantage, sealing the points by adding a second in a 2-0 win.

Priory went into their final match knowing that a 2-0 win would mean they progressed to the final. They began the game well and remained the better side throughout, peppering the Winhills goal but often seeing their shots missing the target. It took until mid-way through the second half for Priory to get the breakthrough which came courtesy of an opportunistic strike from Nathan. With seconds left on the clock, a run down the wing from Cameron resulted in a super cross into the box which found Ollie in acres of space, however his shot sailed over the bar meaning Priory had to settle for a 1-0 win and a respectable second place.

Priory: Matthew, Harry, Loui (C), Matheo, Jerry, Reece, Cameron, Ollie, Grace, Rowan, Nathan, Robert.

Scorers: Rowan, Nathan (2), Ollie

Attendance: 30 (estimated).